Hoity Toity Honors Kids
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Essay for Evaluation.

3 posters

Go down

Another Essay for Evaluation. Empty Another Essay for Evaluation.

Post  EmilyThompson Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:28 pm

Emily Thompson: Comedic Relief.
Note: I've edited it since this version here, but the latest version is on my other computer. Be as brutally honest as you'd like!
Question: Do I stay with the essay topic? Like, "How my Positive Outlook Benefits my Community"? It's kind of too late to change that now, but oh well. THANKS GAIS.

Being an optimist in this day and age is not the simplest of tasks, but that’s not to say that it isn’t a worthwhile endeavor. Optimism offers a refreshing change of pace from the bleak outlook on life shared by most of humanity. This pessimistic state of mind has engrained itself within our culture, blossoming on the medium of media. From news networks to video blogs, it has become evident that negativity is the new black and everyone is in fashion. The internet, most prominently, has become a wonderful outlet for all the naysayers and ne’er-do-wells to unload their complaints upon an unsuspecting online community. Social networking sites offer users a unique opportunity to simultaneously bellyache over every little detail of their lives to every single person they have ever known, as well as to the few strangers that are inevitably lurking about. As it is in human nature to complain, so as to gain sympathizers, most people jump at the chance.
But not I! I find that a little positivity can go a long way, and that many people are appreciative of the delightful difference provided by such an attitude. As it turns out, no matter how much people gripe and moan on the internet, they’re sick of listening to others do the same. Because of this, I have taken it upon myself to provide my internet community with a sense of my cheerful disposition. My positive attitude manifests itself most vividly in the form of comedic relief.
Now, I am aware that even comedy these days has taken a turn for the tawdry, but I make sure to keep things light and fun, never cracking a joke at the expense of another’s feelings. However, the internet is a vicious place and not everyone is as thoughtful as I am. On sites such as Facebook, it has become acceptable to get in massive text-based arguments over the silliest things, like if someone were to post a slightly politically incorrect statement or a picture of some girl wearing a t-shirt to a club that she isn’t even a part of (yeah, I’ve seen that happen). There are even a few people, commonly referred to on the internet as “trolls,” who will intentionally provoke others into intense arguments, just for their own amusement. If I am made witness to such an abominable use of modern technology, I bring it upon myself to intervene. I help the poor buffoons who got themselves caught up in such an egregious and senseless avocation to realize that they are being exactly that: buffoons.
Similarly, if I notice one of my friends is having a bad day and they are posting all about it on their website, I will do my best to help them out in whatever way I can. I like to help people realize that every minor problem they have is not the end of the world and that things will, in fact, get better. Not only does it help others to have a little faith for the future, but it also makes me feel good about myself to just be there when someone needs a sympathetic ear. That’s how the internet helps us: even if we feel all alone, there will usually be someone there to offer up their kind words of wisdom, without any sense of irony or malice.
However, it is more often than not that words fail me, in which case I am graciously provided with a medley of other mediums available on the internet with which to generate a positive environment. A hobby of mine, that I have somewhat recently taken up, is exploring the far reaches of the internet and sharing the quirky and amusing tidbits I find there with my friends and family. From interesting scientific phenomena to witty and whimsical internet memes or the odd image of a cute, cuddly kitten, I’ve found it to be true that the things I share with my internet community have the general effect of lifting the spirits of those who see them. Because, let‘s face it, there is not a spirit around that will not be lifted by a picture of an adorable kitten.
As long as there are internet trolls causing heated debates among peers, or flibbertigibbets spreading nasty rumors on social networking sites, there will be people like me endeavoring to instill light-hearted positivity among the dusty ruins of human interaction that is the world wide web. Thanks to this small, but determined, population of optimistic oblocutors who refuse to bow to the socially accepted status of complaining on the internet, the world is a better place. A place filled with many kind words of encouragement spread among friends and lots and lots of kittens.
EmilyThompson
EmilyThompson

http://ylimenospmoht.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Another Essay for Evaluation. Empty Re: Another Essay for Evaluation.

Post  alanpr0n Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:33 pm

Yours is GODLY! I am really jealous of your writing prowess. I would add in more on how other people are negative and making it seem more emotional and intense. It seemed like other people's negativity seemed like a side note. Also explain on how you help out everyone by explaining it more. I mean, you have a great idea, but you don't explain it really well and you hide it behind fancy words. I might be completely off though but just strengthen your ideas a bit more and you'll be golden.
alanpr0n
alanpr0n

Back to top Go down

Post  Snoogz Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:51 pm

I think it's hilarious that this forum is exactly what your essay is talking about.

It's good, by the way.
Snoogz
Snoogz

Back to top Go down

Post  alanpr0n Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:07 pm

Oh yeah, another thing which probably won't be any benefit. Add in something about this group please Very Happy
alanpr0n
alanpr0n

Back to top Go down

Post  EmilyThompson Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:16 pm

Hahaha, Alan, you know, I would add in more to my paper, but I'm already at 799 words...I hate word limits. |:< AND I'M GLAD YOU ENJOYED IT.
EmilyThompson
EmilyThompson

http://ylimenospmoht.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  alanpr0n Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:17 pm

feel free to change mine up as you want! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
alanpr0n
alanpr0n

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum